Monday, October 25, 2010

Back to work again.

Sorry for the delay on posting.

As of late I have been contemplating the idea of working in a kitchen. Why the hell would anyone want to do it?

I spend at least 12+ hours of my day in a room without windows. I am Surrounded by machines spewing flames and hot steam.  The only thing I can really trust is the edge of my Masahiro 240 Gyuto, and that's starting to dull. I eat my meals standing up. I drink my coffee black. Every third word that comes out of my mouth only consists of four letters, not including the simple suffixes to help emphasize it's meaning. I yell alot. I cut my self alt least 3 times a week, and let's not get into the burns. Did I mention that I curse alot... Oh wait, I did in my long winded rant about suffixes. I find solace in butchering the carcasses of long dead animals.
I frequently ask myself why do I continue to do it.

Well for one, after the 13th hour of work and ninth pint of coffee, when you look back at the fleeting accomplishment that I've just plated up for my customers. I see them smiling like overstuffed pigs waiting to be slaughtered. You just have to smile and take in the moment. For that time while they were enjoying the fruits of my labor, I was able to make that person think of nothing else other than that thing I just created. Not many people can do that. Hopefully they will come back to see what else I can create. Now, I ask myself the same question. Why the hell would I want to cook?

The answer is simple...  It's cuz I sure as hell don't want to eat what your making.  J/k!

I do it because I love it. Anyone can become a good cook. The technique is no secret. The problem is do they have fortitude to keep up with it all.

Escoffier's Sous Chef said it best. "Heaven gives us good meat, hell gives us good cooks."

Enough with the culinary tirades... now on to the recipes 

seckle pear
Burgundy Poached Seckle Pear with Burbon Caramel


6 Seckle Pears, peeled and cored.
2 cups Red Wine, (burgundy or something similar)
3 cups water
2 cups Sugar
1/2 Vanilla Bean (optional)


Boil the wine, water, and sugar with the vanilla.  Lower to slow simmer. 
Place pear in liquid and place a weight ton top in order to submerge the pears fully (a plate should be fine).  
Cover and let poach for 30 - 45 minutes or until tender.


For Caramel:
2 cups Sugar
1/2 cup water
2 cups Heavy Cream
1 cup bourbon


Scald the haeavy cream and Bourbon mixture. Lower fire and keep warm.
Caramelize sugar and water mixture.  
When amber in color slowly add haeavy cream and whip with a LONG whisk!  
Be very careful because the molten sugar will bubble and splash when the cream is added. 


Assemble by removing the pear from the liquid and let dry a little.  Sauce with the caramel and a dollop of whipped cream.  Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment